‘Real science in action’

1:04 PM  Oct 18th, 2011
by Seetha Sankaranarayan '12

As a child who enjoyed hours in the open air, hunting mushrooms and catching bugs, Graham High School teacher Chantelle Rose ’98 sees the outdoors as a great big classroom. Her students are used to hands-on projects, like collecting fossils at nearby creeks and building model rockets.

But Rose has an even bigger adventure on hand.

She sets out Nov. 3 for an Arctic sampling expedition through PolarTREC, a professional development program that pairs K-12 educators with researchers for hands-on field experiences.

She said she was inspired to apply to be part of the program after following a friend’s expedition.

“I thought if I am a professional – an adult – and I was unaware of how unique and diverse the Arctic region is, my students must have the same misconceptions,” Rose says.

While aboard the United States Coast Guard Icebreaker Healy, she will stay connected to her students and other classes across the country by logging journal entries, showing slideshows and holding teleconferences though the PolarTREC website.

“I hope to fuel their sense of adventure […] and expose them to science concepts they may never experience in Ohio,” Rose says. “I want them to be a part of real science and research and really ‘see’ science in action.”