Alumni profile: Creative catalyst

4:01 PM  Oct 24th, 2016
by Bridget Lally

With recent accolades from Martha Stewart Weddings, Style Me Pretty and the Huffington Post, UD grad Kristen Becker ’03 is living the design life she never imagined.

The visual communication design alumna is owner and designer of Five Dot Design, a boutique design studio in Newport, Kentucky, which specializes in custom wedding invitations, event décor and design installations. “Dot” is the name of Becker’s aunt, who had breast cancer at the time when Becker was toying with the idea of starting her own company, and five is Becker’s lucky number.

Becker is a one-person show.

“In terms of the design and creative portion, it’s just me,” Becker said. “If you’re reaching out to work with me, you will work with me.”

After graduation, she worked in the corporate world and thought she’d remain there.

“It’s been a wild ride,” Becker said.

For business she has traveled as far as Dubrovnik, Croatia, for a seaside wedding. Her chic programs for the bride and groom, friends of hers, were featured in Martha Stewart Weddings. She covered the stylized programs in an iridescent ivory fabric; inside she included a message to the bride’s parents, who were celebrating their 34th wedding anniversary.

Becker said she stands out in her industry because of her passion for bringing new visual aspects to events. This is what “design installations” are all about: going onsite, setting up and putting it together. She compares it to preparing an art exhibit.

She said her husband’s line of work, architecture, keeps her in tune creatively to new physical elements.

“I love paper. But I also love to find different materials to use,” Becker said. “If you can find a way to differentiate and bring in personality, something that helps couples feel like they created something unique, then that’s a creative win for me.”