A community of learners

4:46 PM  Apr 7th, 2017
by Danielle Damon '18

Stander Symposium continued to grow UD’s “community of learners” Wednesday, April 5. Rooted in the Marianist tradition, Stander Symposium is an annual event dedicated to student research in all academic disciplines.

Students took their perch for poster sessions in the RecPlex while a forum for climate change ran simultaneously in Roesch Library. Oral presentations, panel discussions, performances and visual art displays were held throughout campus all day long.

For many students, Stander is a day to present capstone projects. Through the management information systems capstone course, seniors Aidan Hamor, Kyle Massie and Seth Meyer partnered with Ross Group to implement classroom knowledge of point-of-sale systems into a real-life situation.

“It’s nice to have the opportunity to present to students outside of our class,” Meyer said. “To have them come and be interested in our project is really rewarding.”

A new format for presentations was implemented this year was Porch Projects. The 10- to 15-minute presentations were held on various porches in the student neighborhoods.

Senior Liz Kelsch created her own classroom and sheet sign at 464 Kiefaber to discuss The Journey of an Honors Thesis Student.

“I talked about my thesis with my friends and roommates for the past two years,” Kelsch said. “I wanted to bring the same conversation to the student neighborhood. I think it is a better way to learn about the research process than simply looking at a poster of my results.”

Held in memory of late professor and Provost Brother Joseph W. Stander, S.M., the event has been a UD staple for 28 years.

By 5 p.m. campus began to calm as the closing reception in conjunction with the Horvath Awards commenced in the Fitz Hall Radial Gallery. The Horvath Awards, begun in 1975, awards student work in the department of art and design.

On Thursday, April 6, the celebration officially concluded with a keynote address from Harvard physics professor Lisa Randall in Kennedy Union Ballroom.