Doing business in China and Hong Kong

2:04 PM  May 3rd, 2017
by Danielle Damon ’18

After a 13-hour flight, it was New Year’s Day when students hopped off the plane to ring in the new year, on a new continent. The 18 students traveling with the School of Business Administration (SBA) to China and Hong Kong had arrived at the starting point of a two-week journey.

In conjunction with the University of Dayton China Institute, faculty members Paul Sweeney, Terence Lau and Vince Lewis guided students across Asia during the spring 2017 intersession.

“In China, there is enormous and unprecedented economic growth and success,” Sweeney said. “No one has come further, faster in history than China, and it’s worth it for our students to understand that.”

Students who enrolled in the International Business course (INB 352), Doing Business in China and Hong Kong, prepared with bi-weekly meetings before travel. Once abroad, the learning was more experiential.

As the group visited nearly 20 different companies, including General Electric, Jabil, PwC, Crown and Emerson.

“The experience brought to life a lot of the concepts we discuss in class,” said junior entrepreneurship major Lyric Fields. “It reminded me why I’m in school doing what I’m doing now.”

When not visiting companies, students were tasting new foods, like octopus and jelly fish skin, and exploring the Great Wall of China, Forbidden City, Imperial Summer Palace and other historic landmarks.

“The culture was different in every city we visited — from Beijing to Shanghai to Suzhou,” said junior international business and economics major Nathan Stemen. “I learned I have a deep appreciation for culture and new ideas, and I can definitely see myself living and working abroad in the future.”

This was the second year the SBA offered the trip with plans to offer it again over the spring 2018 intersession. Interested students should contact Paul Sweeney at psweeney2@udayton.edu in the fall for more details.