Nicole Auerbach

Women for the win

4:22 PM  Mar 22nd, 2013
by Kaitlyn Ridel '13

It’s a man’s world they say, but not to Nicole Auerbach. In a sea of navy blue and black, Auerbach stands out in a pink sheath dress, one of the only female sports journalists in UD Arena for the NCAA tournament.

“At the Final Four last year, I looked around and there were like 200 men there and I think three other female print journalists,” said Auerbach, a college basketball reporter for USA TODAY.

Auerbach says there are certain things she has to think about as a female sports writer that many of her male colleagues don’t face.

“I have to be very conscious of what I am wearing at all times,” she said. “If you are doing an interview and you need to get someone’s phone number, you have to be very careful how you ask it. It’s just all these things that male colleagues don’t have to think about.”

Auerbach says some female reporters, though males do as well, take note of the sports stories off the court, particularly relating to family and relationships.

“Today I did a story on Deshaun Thomas at Ohio State,” she said. “His son turns one today and he’ll be here. Last year he had to play when his son was born.”

“No one else did that story today,” she went on to say. “That was just something I was immediately drawn to.”

Auerbach tells female sports journalists to pursue their career and to not forget about print, which is where she sees the least amount of female sports journalists.

“I think people should do it,” she said. “Some women growing up now just see sideline reporters or the occasional anchor and they don’t see the print writers.”

There are definitely not enough women in print journalism, Auerbach said. She also encourages women to go into the field without any fear of a stigma.

“I know a ton of girls who love sports and know a lot about it and we just don’t have a lot,” she said. “I know a few, but there should always be more.”