A Worldly Celebration

9:49 AM  May 23rd, 2013
by Megan Garrison '14

Walking into the 1 World Celebration at McGinnis Center was disorienting. The lights dimmed, the music loud, a line of students stretching around the corner waiting to get some of the delicious smelling food. Before I could even find my way to the stage a trail of fraternity brothers came through to introduce the history of stepping and strolling.

As I slowly made my way through the crowd I was mesmerized by the cooking team, who told me the food was anything but basic. “We have the Maintenance Man making American diner food, some Italian inspired sliders and traditional Mexican food,” said Josh Chamberlain ’14. “It’s all delicious. And it’s all amazing.”

After sampling a few of the dishes — including a particularly spicy burger that set my mouth on fire but made my taste buds dance — I had to agree.

In an attempt to get out of the fray, I made my way to the artisan tables lining the hall, stopping when a table of international students writing names in Chinese characters caught my eye. When I asked for mine, a young woman offered to do a traditional Chinese brush painting for me instead. She was taught the art at a young age, she said, much like young American children learn to color. Painting in hand, I wandered back into the main room to catch a fashion show of traditional wardrobes from all around the world.

The celebration was still at full gear when I departed, but I know that I took the excitement to learn and live with different cultures with me as I climbed into my car.