Send a Class Notes
Ask a Marianist

Hidden Treasure

Read our interactive issue to see videos, links and more.

UD Magazine apps
peg mount

Far-traveled students and pure joy nearby … Ask a Marianist

2:39 PM  Apr 11th, 2012
by Michelle Tedford

A Marianist Educational Associate since 2011, Peg Mount has been assisting the students, faculty and staff of engineering technology for more than 20 years. That includes, since 2006, cohorts of students and faculty from Shanghai Normal University in China.

What was your impression when you saw the first cohort of Chinese students from Shanghai Normal University?
—Paul Xu ’07, Shanghai, China

I admired the students for taking a risk in coming to UD to take classes. I know it was difficult for them to be 7,000 miles away from home and their families and to take courses not taught in Chinese.

In the past couple years, you have helped a lot of Shanghai Normal students. Have you ever thought about visiting Shanghai? —Yvonne Zhou ’07, Cincinnati

I would love to go to Shanghai. There are so many students who are there, faculty who are there who I want to see. I enjoyed getting to know them and learning about their culture, and they gave me new insights by seeing Dayton through their eyes.

How do you make use of the Marianist charism in your daily dealings with students, particularly those who might be a bit challenging to deal with? —Margaret Pinnell ’88, UD assistant dean

There was a student who did not want to hear “no,” and “no” was the only answer I had for him. So I’m standing, and he’s getting pushy and coming into my space. I thought, he’s a freshman, and I’m going to have him for the next four years. And I was thinking about the Marianist charisms of Mary and inclusivity. I decided that I could make his life miserable every time he came in this office or I could think of him as a child of God and someone who deserves my respect. The irony is that he became one of my student workers, and we became good friends. But it could have gone the other way. Every day, admin assistants hear “I need, I want, I gotta have” from students, faculty and technicians. Everybody has to make a conscious decision every day about what we do.

How has your MEA experience impacted your life professionally and personally? —Randy Groesbeck, UD administrator

I have met wonderful people not only from UD but also from San Antonio and Hawaii. I believe in the Marianists and their mission. They see the world is not black and white — there are so many gray areas, and they have compassion and have shown me how to be nonjudgmental. I’m always open to listening. We all have burdens to bear, but when you share, you begin to heal.

What is the happiest thing for you? —Roro Chen ’08, Shanghai, China

My granddaughters. I went through a bad divorce, and I never thought I’d love like that again. But it was instantaneous, pure joy when my son first handed me Lauren. Lauren is now 5, Jocelyn, just over 1 year. I just light up when I see them. It’s the next generation, and we see hope when we look in their faces, that they can make it a better world.

What is the Lebanon Outreach Program headed by engineering school dean Tony Saliba? —Brother John Samaha, S.M. ’52, Cupertino, Calif.

When Tony and Joseph Saliba came to the University of Dayton, they found not only a refuge from the civil war in their native homeland (1975-1990) but also a community where they and many other Lebanese could prosper socially, economically and culturally. Years later, when President Dan Curran and Provost Joe Saliba visited Lebanon, they were told by both the president of the country and the head of the Maronite Catholic Church that UD’s Lebanese students should be encouraged to return and rebuild the country. Tony and Joe have started the Lebanon Outreach Program that supports, through donated money, students from Lebanon to come to the University of Dayton and then return home to be strong leaders providing innovation, commitment and service. I think this program is one of the many examples of how the Marianist spirit continues to flow from one generation to the next.

What do you enjoy most about being at UD? —Becky Blust ’87, UD professor

I work with a very special group of people in technology. The current faculty, I’ve watched their kids grow up from babies. I know who likes jelly beans and who likes Snickers. We have an end-of-
semester pizza party that brings all of our full-time and part-time faculty and retirees together. When I first started, the retirees made me part of their group. I have played laser tag with them, and we just had our third annual Robert Burns night, where engineers, mathematicians and their spouses  share poems. My 60th birthday is coming up, and I’m learning from the best how to celebrate birthdays and
celebrate life.

For our next issue ask Father Marty Solma, S.M. ’71, provincial for the Marianist Province of the United States and a Cleveland native. He previously served in eastern Africa for 25 years. EMAIL YOUR QUESTION TO MAGAZINE@UDAYTON.EDU.