Chapter Postcard: Los Angeles alumni community

10:50 AM  Apr 25th, 2017
by Gita Balakrishnan

Los Angeles holds the top international spot for its claim to entertainment, fashion, cuisine and cultural hotspots. While being home to some of the world’s most famous actors and actresses, the City of Angels is also home to over 800 Flyer Faithful.  With summer weather year-round these alumni get to enjoy tourist attractions like the Walk of Fame, the Hollywood sign, Rodeo Drive, Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Getty Center just by going out their back doors.

Question: What was your biggest celebrity sighting?

I saw Mark Wahlberg at the West Hollywood Target. Much shorter in person; they all are! It seems on a weekly basis you do a double take and think, “Aren’t you that one person from that one thing?” It’s usually common to see a reality star or someone from a commercial. —Jimmy Scharpf ’11

I ran into Giuliana Rancic from E! News one morning when I was training for a snow bike race in the Santa Monica Mountains. She and her husband asked me what I was doing up in the mountain on my snow bike. And I’ve passed Forest Whitaker on the sidewalk across the street from my office. My husband and I have a mutual friend with Tig Notaro, so we sometimes do activities with her too! —Stephanie Grant ’01

I have only seen a few people, but the most “star struck” I got was when I saw a woman who used to write for the TV show Leverage. That was one of my favorite shows, so I was gushing
a bit when I found out. I’m a writer, so I suppose
it figures I would get that excited to meet a
fellow writer. —Erin Dooley ’00

Los Angeles Alumni  By the Numbers

Total Alumni 829

Single 363

Married 396

Flyer Fusions 62

Graduation Classes

All 1940s-2010s

Most 1970s with 169

Academic Area

Arts & Sciences 386

Engineering 165

Business 147

Education & Health Sciences 103

Law 28