University of Dayton Magazine
duse10

Figured out

4:48 PM  Oct 3rd, 2012
by Mickey Shuey '14

It’s been only seven months since Chloe McEldowney ’13 won the Horvath Exhibition’s Best of Show prize, but much has changed for the art major.

The juried work — a colorful oil sticks drawing entitled “Daphne” — portrays a large, black female sitting in a chair. It also has provided extensive publicity and recognition to other art by McEldowney.

One of two UD students selected for participation in the Dayton Art Institute’s Yeck Fellowship program this year, she says that her thought process is what sets her apart.

“I like to have my audience make their own assumptions,“ she says. “My work shows the realism of the subject.”

This approach has found its way into her paintings as well. “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”, a photo-style painting of a Troll Doll, is just another example of how McEldowney tries to create a real-world portrait of her subject rather than one grounded in emotions.

Though she uses mediums similar to those of McEldowney, UD’s other Yeck Fellow has a slightly different approach in the creative process. Abby Maurer ’14 says that her figure painting is best described as “humanistic.”

“I like showing the way I see things; the way I see the world,” says Maurer. “I like to show it with my own spin.”

McEldowney and Maurer will have a year-end exhibition at the Institute, but will also have opportunities to teach select high school students about particular art subjects.

“I’m looking forward to the chance to teach and the chance to learn,” McEldowney says. “I am so blessed that I get to share my passion for art with others.”

McEldowney and Maurer went to high schools just 20 minutes apart but didn’t meet until they arrived at Dayton — they even played one another in volleyball. Now, they are partners in their art history class and Yeck co-fellows.

“It gives me peace of mind,” Maurer says, “to know that I am going to be surrounded by even more people who love this subject; that is special.”

– – – – –

View more of McEldowney’s work here.