katie kandrach illustration for santa's magic

Holiday sketches

1:30 PM  Feb 13th, 2013
by Megan Garrison '14

Holidays have a way of following Katie Kandrach ’10.

She’s been a UDQuickly Snapshot in St. Patrick’s Day gear, collaborated with professor and alumnus Don Quigley ’63 to illustrate his book, Santa’s Magic, and as a marketing professional at Victoria’s Secret, finds herself busiest during the month of love. They’ve all found a place in her heart – and her portfolio.

While an undergraduate, Kandrach partnered with Quigley after her roommate recommended her during a writers’ group event at Flyer Spirit. Her drawings, some based on real photographs, give life to the memoir, which describes Quigley’s four-decade stint as Santa Claus.

“My professor let me tie them into a senior project, which was great because he gave me some great advice and taught me a new pen and ink technique I’ve never used before,” said Kandrach. “I also used illustration samples from the book in my portfolio because it was still a work-in-progress by the time I had the interview with Victoria’s Secret.”

Kandrach is a member of the company’s beauty team as a graphic designer. Having landed the job shortly after graduating, Kandrach relates that she has had a blast, loving every second of it.

“We design the windows, all of the marketing you see on the inside tables, as well as some of the pieces you receive in the mail. I’ve even been to a photo shoot and have met some of the models and our photographer!”

Kandrach recently opened her mail to see her first copy of Santa’s Magic. And while she has no plans to illustrate another book currently, she entertains the idea of the possibility in the future.

“I was pretty swamped last year illustrating a portrait for a friend’s anniversary, as well as illustrating a football field for a friend’s birthday present. I’ve got a pretty jammed-pack next few months with work and a family vacation to Australia so I’m going to take a break for a bit,” she said.

With plenty of projects on her to-do list, like decorating the Victoria’s Secret floor set for Valentine’s Day (Kandrach’s favorite holiday), to helping her boyfriend with the launch of his Web design company, she fondly thanks UD for her accomplishments.

“UD is chock-full of great design professors who constantly pushed me to improve myself. They were always willing to go the extra mile.”

Read more about Quigley’s annual transformation — and why his wife thought it was the start of a midlife crisis.