Send a Class Notes
Ask a Marianist

Hidden Treasure
UD Magazine apps
Campus to Career

Campus to Career

3:12 PM  Mar 19th, 2013
by Meredith Hirt '13

Campus to Career – Bridging the Gap was held Tuesday, Mar. 12. The event, hosted by Career Services, provided resources to female students to help prepare for the transition from life as a collegiate to life as a professional.

Katy Utter ’14 attended the conference because she thought it sounded like a fun way to network and learn more about the professional world. “I am a marketing and entrepreneurship student and plan on getting a job in social media marketing after I graduate,” said Utter. “I think that this event helped me expand my network and my knowledge about using social media in a professional and personal setting.”

After speed networking, breakout sessions and a keynote address from Krista Neher about the importance of personal branding on social media, a panel of four young professionals addressed the undergraduates. Sara Dorn ’12 was one of two UD grads on the panel. Dorn gave advice to current students about the process of relocating for a job, which she has done twice since graduating, and the responsibilities that come with a job. “In college, if you miss a class or don’t do your homework, you will feel the consequences, but in a job, slacking off affects a lot of other people, too,” said Dorn.

Campus to Career was a success for Utter and Dorn; along with gaining applicable advice to use in the workforce, Utter also won a Kindle Fire in the raffle held at the end of the night. Dorn was glad she was able to help UD students feel prepared to leave campus and take on a career. “Being an alum and giving advice to current students was really rewarding,” she said. “Considering I obsessed over my career during my senior year, I know what a scary, exciting time it can be.”